Yet another authentic recipe from Rajasthan which is made using the moong daal nuggets also known as “Mangodi” in other parts of the country…as mentioned in my earlier post "Gatte ki Subzi" that in authentic Rajasthani cooking there is a limited use of fresh ingredients therefore these nuggets are also dried and stored in containers for few months and used as & when required.. also the gravy for the curry is made using the ground spices, water & Curd only…
|Badi/Mangodi: 1/2 Cup |
Papad: 1 Piece
Water: 21/2 – 3 Cups
Curd: 1/3 Cup
Ghee: 2 Tbsp
Cumin Seeds: 1/2 Tsp
|Asafoetida: 1/4 Tsp |
Salt: to taste
Red Chilly Pwdr: to taste
Coriander Powder: 2 Tbsp
Garam Masala: 1/2 Tsp
Dry Mango Pwdr: 1/2 Tsp
- Crush the Badi coarsly keeping a kitchen towel under it.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add cumin seeds and asafoetida, when it crackles add crushed badi to it and roast till light brown and fragrant.
- Meanwhile boil the water in an another pan.
- Add boiled water to the roasted badi & then all the spices except dry mango powder and let it simmer on slow flame for 20-25 mins until it becomes soft and the raw smell is gone.
- Meanwhile roast the papad as shown in the picture and beat the curd with a fork and add dry mango pwdr to it.
- Once the badi is cooked, break papad into small pieces and add to it then add the curd.
- Check seasoning and adjust if required and if the gravy is too thick the add more boiled water to it.
- Cook it for another 5-6 mins and serve it hot with chapati or rice.